I recently gave a talk titled “Selecting high impact journals” as part of the research capability seminars and workshops organized by the University Research Council of Ateneo de Naga University. Here is a copy of the slides I used.
I recently gave a talk titled “Types of academic publications” as part of the research capability seminars and workshops organized by the University Research Council of Ateneo de Naga University. Here is a copy of the slides I used.
Last September 2-3, 2017, the Council of Deans and Department Chairpersons of Colleges of Arts and Sciences (CODDCCAS) Region V held a Conference and Enrichment Sessions on the New General Education Curriculum at the Ateneo de Naga University in Naga City. According to the Commission on Higher Education Regional Office V CHED Regional Memorandum number 82 series of 2017, the activity aims to “enrich approaches in teaching the new GE courses that the General Education teachers will be handling this SY 2018-2019.”
I and Marivic Fullante handled the sessions on “Mathematics in the Modern World.” (I lectured during the morning of September 3, 2017, and she lectured during the afternoon.) Here are the slides that I used: Introduction, Mathematics in Our World, Mathematical Language and Symbols, Problem Solving and Reasoning, and Geometric Designs.
I also talked about the teaching of mathematics using the Filipino language.
The Department of Mathematics of the Ateneo de Naga University (ADNU) is organizing a series of seminar-workshops to be held on June 1, 2, and 3, 2017 at the Instructional Media Center of the ADNU main campus (at Bagumbayan Sur, Naga City). The resource speaker for all three seminar-workshops is Dr. Ian June L. Garces of Ateneo de Manila University.
The Seminar-Workshop on Formative Assessment and the Teaching of Math on June 1, 2017 (Thursday) has private and public high school (and possibly elementary) math teachers as the target audience.
The Coaches’ Training in Math Competitions on June 2, 2017 (Friday) has private and public high school math coaches as the target audience.
The Seminar-Workshop on Problem Solving and Mathematical Investigation on June 3, 2017 (Saturday) has high school and college math teachers and graduate students in math as the target audience.
Additional information about the seminar-workshops can be found here.
When the Bicol Science, Technology & Engineering Conference 2017 was cancelled, one of the plenary speakers, Aurelio Asug De Los Reyes V, agreed to still give his talk but to a smaller audience: the faculty, staff, and students of Ateneo de Naga University. The talk on mathematical modeling of physiological processes is being organized by ADNU’s Department of Mathematics, Department of Natural Sciences, and Graduate School on January 25, 2017 from 2 pm to 4 pm at the CCMF Amphitheater. Admission is free.
There were 291 participants who took the 19th Philippine Mathematical Olympiad Qualifying Stage for Region 5. Of these, 11 made it to the Area Stage:
- Candano, Gabrielle Jackie (Aquinas University of Legazpi Science High School)
- Capin, June Lorenz (University of Nueva Caceres)
- Fraginal, Jericho (University of Saint Anthony)
- Gamba, Levi Jhon (Philippine Science High School-Bicol Region Campus)
- Mendez, Eric Fabian Jr (Philippine Science High School-Bicol Region Campus)
- Nataño, John Harold (Vinzons Pilot High School)
- Oringo, John Angelo (Philippine Science High School-Bicol Region Campus)
- Suarez, Errol John (Aquinas University of Legazpi Senior High School)
- Uy, Hans Mackenzie (Saint Joseph School)
- Uy, Jillian Hannah (Saint Joseph School)
- Villegas, Dominic (Saint Joseph School)
The list of 55 area stage qualifiers for Luzon (excluding those from the National Capital Region) is here. There were 50 area stage qualifiers from NCR, 52 from Visayas, and 55 from Mindanao.
The Area Stage for Region 5 will be held on November 19, 2016 at the Ateneo de Naga University (Bagumbayan campus). The exam room is D414 on the fourth floor of the Francis C. Dolan, S.J. Hall; registration will be done on the first floor of the same building. Reproduced below is an announcement from the PMO staff:
Reminders for the Coaches and Students (Re: 19th PMO Area Stage)
- The PMO Area Stage is on November 19, 2016.
- Confirm the testing venue with the PMO coordinator in your region before the exam date. You may find his/her name, address and contact number at the PMO website (http://pmo.ph). S/he is the same coordinator during the qualifying stage.
- On November 19, 2016, arrive at the testing center early. Registration will begin at 1:00 noon and the exam will begin promptly at 2:00 pm and end at 5:00 pm. Late examinees will not be given additional time.
- The student must bring his/her school ID for identification.
- Each student must bring his/her own blue or black pen for the exam. (All final answers and solutions to the examination must be in blue or black ink.)
- Students will be allowed to use rulers, protractors and compasses.
- Calculators will not be allowed.
- The examination will consist of two parts. The first part has 20 answers-only questions and the second part has 3 open-ended questions.
- The names of the students who will qualify for the national stage will be released on or before December 20, 2016.
- The top 3 scorers in each area will be given medals and subsidized fare to attend the National Finals and Awarding Program.
Edit made on January 11, 2017: BiSTEC 2017 has been cancelled. Details can be found in the comment to this post.
The Ateneo de Naga University College of Science and Engineering is organizing the first Bicol Science, Technology & Engineering Conference (BiSTEC 2017) on January 25-27, 2017 at the Avenue Plaza Hotel in Naga City, Camarines Sur, Philippines.
The theme is “Science and Technology Towards Bicol Development” and the sub-themes are Science and Technology Innovations, Mathematical Modeling, Climate Change Adaptation, Computational Intelligence, Natural Products and Molecular Medicine, and Environmental Issues and Problems. The plenary speakers are Fabian M. Dayrit, Joel S. Marciano, Jr., Aurelio Asug De Los Reyes V, Carlo A. Arcilla, Bryan Martin, and Allan A. Sioson.
Click here to see the BiSTEC 2017 brochure containing a call for papers.