I was looking at a recent Sunday Internet Comics, Animation, & Art Auction of Heritage Auctions and was surprised to see this lot, which had a comic book in very bad condition and yet had a bid of a few thousand dollars.
The condition of a comic book is usually assigned a grade from 0.5 (the lowest) to 10.0 (the highest). Nobody buys a comic book graded at 0.5 unless it is extremely collectible (like an Action Comics #1). It was only when I read the description of the lot that I understood why it was commanding such a high price.
All Star Comics #8 (DC, 1942) CGC PR 0.5 Off-white pages. This Golden Age key made a big jump on Overstreet’s 2017 version of Top 100 Golden Age Comics list with a whopping 49% increase in value over the prior year, in the process climbing from 15th to 12th place. That marked the highest percentage increase in value of all books on the list! Expect another notch or two climb this year! A CGC-certified copy in FR 1.0 fetched $21,000 in April, 2018! The big deal, of course, is the origin and first appearance of Wonder Woman. Starman and Dr. Mid-Nite join the JSA in this momentous issue. CGC notes, “Cover completely split and detached. Page 1 detached. Page 36 missing, does not affect story. Incomplete.” Overstreet 2017 GD 2.0 value = $15,000. CGC census 6/18: 7 in 0.5, 109 higher.
Right now the current bid is $5,040.00 ($4,200 without the Buyer’s Premium), but I expect it to go higher when the auction ends tomorrow (June 24, 2018).
I looked for previous auction results at Heritage Auctions and found the following lots with the same grade (the prices include the BP):
- Lot 14036 “PR – Incomplete and coverless” (PR 0.5) (“The origin and first appearance of Wonder Woman story is missing from this copy.”) March 18, 2012, $131.45
- Lot 14024 “Incomplete” (PR 0.5) (“Centerfold missing”) May 27, 2012, $2,031.50
- Lot 92040 “CGC Apparent PR 0.5 Moderate to Extensive (C-4) Cream to off-white pages” (“Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, reinforced, panel cut out of page 1, affects story. Tape on cover, interior cover, & interior. Incomplete.”) May 20, 2017, $13,145.00
The following selected results show that prices have been increasing very sharply in the past decade.
- Lot 41009 “CGC Apparent VF/NM 9.0 Moderate (P) Cream to off-white pages” May 22, 2008, $8,365.00
- Lot 93265 “CGC Apparent VF/NM 9.0 Extensive (P) Cream to off-white pages” Jul 27, 2012, $4,182.50
- Lot 93010 “CGC VF 8.0 Cream to off-white pages” Jul 27, 2012, $56,762.50
- Lot 91041 “CGC FN+ 6.5 Cream to off-white pages” Feb 22, 2018, $92,612.50
(Do note that the first two items have been restored, and so have prices much less than those for unrestored items.)
The recent interest for this comic book seems to be due to the Wonder Woman movie released last 2017.